Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2017 9:39 pm  #381

Re: Stardusty Psyche's thread

@Strawdusty,

"You are not presenting anything even remotely resembling PhD level logical argumentation.  Are all you folks out there actually taken in by the grod act?"

Oh, you mean because he actually knows what he is talking about and provides references and his arguments are easily verified?  Why would I believe that when you provide no references and have provided us with the "Conservation of Material" theorem (whatever that is).

Yes, who has the better argument....tough to decide

Why don't you give us a link to the Conservation of Material theorem?

12/22/2017 9:41 pm  #382

So, SP, is there a difference between the causal relationship between A and B in the two cases?

1- A: Grandfather B: Grandson

2- A: Your survival B: oxygen in the room

I don't care if you're bent on reducing hierarchical series into accidental ones. The question is fairly simple. Do you have enough capacity to have a simple metaphysical insight to realize that 1 and 2 are not exactly the same in regards to causal relations?

If you can tell there is a difference, congratulations, you might be able to understand what we sometimes call "continuous dependence" and also hierarchical series of causes.

If you pretend you can't tell the difference and instead force yourself to turn away from the "illusion" (which even if "illusory" would suffice for its validity, considering there's a clear conceptual difference involved), then, well, I've already said enough with regards to scientistic delusion. You're free to reject Aquinas's five ways on the basis of your bizarre assumptions. We don't agree with your assumption and we find the metaphysical analysis of dependence to be much more plausible than your assumption, so although you find your argument convincing, we don't. That's all.

12/22/2017 10:17 pm  #383

I tire of SP, tbh. He didn't take the deal offered - he came here only after Feser banned him - so he isn't really owed anything. If it wasn't for the interest others take in debating him, I would consider booting him. As it is, I'm sorely tempted to start deleting his most transparently trolling posts, which is to say, more than half his posts. It's unlikely, but maybe that will improve his arguments a little.

12/22/2017 11:03 pm  #384

@Miguel,

He already claims that dead relatives contribute a particular amount of force to the decendants golf swing.
Now he claims that the force cannot be measured and that no one can even come up with a formula to calculate how to meaure it, but is commited to that proposition.

It seems that he is not bothered by reductio ad absurdum.

12/23/2017 1:58 am  #385

SP, though certain constituent particles of, say, the table and cup involve accidental causal relationships, this cannot in principle rob us from the simple truth that without the table the cup would fall--that is the cup is continually dependent on the table for its positioning of being one meter off the ground. The grandson is not continually dependent on the grandfather. If the grandfather dies the grandson lives on. If the table collapses, the cup falls. The distinction between these two causal relationships is clear.

Even though they both involve temporal processes--like the constant motion of atoms in the table and cup--this does not mean that both causal relationships are the same. Again, temporality does not entail an accidental causal series. An accidental causal series is one in which each member has a degree of causal independence, not continually relying on the earlier members for its causal efficacy or existence. So for instance, the grandson can still exist, move, function, even if his grandfather drops dead. The cup, however, cannot actualize its potential to exist one meter off the ground if the table is destroyed. Why? Because the cup is continually dependent on the table for its position.

Last edited by RomanJoe (12/23/2017 1:59 am)

12/23/2017 2:00 am  #386

@Miguel

So, SP, is there a difference between the causal relationship between A and B in the two cases?

Both are crude, naked eye, obsolete attempts at examining causality.

In all 4 instances you have lumped together a vast collection and assigned a title to this collection.

Your analytical approach is hopelessly vague compared to any modern scientific study of causality.

A grandfather is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A grandson is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A survival is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A room full of oxygen is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.

Until you learn how to analyze cause and effect you are not going to be able to address causal systems in any meaningful way.

12/23/2017 4:37 am  #387

SP, could you please enlighten us then, as to how we should properly analyze cause and effect? What is a legitimate "causal regression analysis"?

As I understand it, causality is established when the propositions:

1. if C, then E
2. if E, then C

Are both true (C = cause, E = effect). Whether the process is temporal is irrelevant. Of course, causal analysis can be much more complex than this, but the fact is that (to use the table-cup example), the table being present is a necessary and sufficient condition for the cup being one meter off the ground.

What, in your view, is missing? Why is this a "crude" attempt at examining causality? What would looking at the table-cup system through a microscope achieve which the "crude" attempt doesn't? What does it add to the analysis?

Please, try not to be hopelessly vague in your replies.

Last edited by Agnostic (12/23/2017 4:40 am)

12/23/2017 6:11 am  #388

"Rational argumentation by a "PhD" "mathematical physicist"

Oh the irony!

As anyone can check for himself, every objection that Stardusty posed that I bothered to respond, I responded on purely *physical grounds* (that is, I did not even touched any metaphysics) as not even amounting to a coherent argument and that, despite his delusional kookyness, he is completely clueless about physics. Since there is one thing that Stardusty cannot positively stand is a Christian knowing infinitely more physics than he does, and since he cannot rebut anything I have said, his consistent MO has been to respond that "Ah but you have not shown that the First Way is valid! Gotcha!" or some variation of similar misdirection, followed by whining how "I never present arguments", followed by suggesting that I am lying about my credentials (in another forum, he went beyond suggesting and actually said it in so many words and never retracted it). We even have the little gem "More likely you are a Brazilian kid who found that ID on line but is completely incapable of imitating the scientific capacities of a real mathematical physicist." As the cherry on top, he complains about the level of my "rational argumentation". And on and on it goes, like a merry go round, never leaving the same place.

There is a Tom Waits' song that I like particularly, it is called "The Piano Has Been Drinking". In it there is a line that describes him: "A mental midget with the IQ of a fence post". Adding how he is a dishonest scumbag, and he is figured out completely. Shame what human beings can turn into when they choose the Darkness over the Light, but there it is.

12/23/2017 8:38 am  #389

StardustyPsyche wrote:

@Miguel

Both are crude, naked eye, obsolete attempts at examining causality.

In all 4 instances you have lumped together a vast collection and assigned a title to this collection.

Your analytical approach is hopelessly vague compared to any modern scientific study of causality.

A grandfather is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A grandson is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A survival is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.
A room full of oxygen is a temporal process of vast complexity, not a single cause or effect.

Until you learn how to analyze cause and effect you are not going to be able to address causal systems in any meaningful way.

So you deny there is any sort of real difference when we talk about how we constantly need oxygen to survive, or how the car will stop moving if the engine dies, and how a grandfather is indirectly responsible for his grandson's existence. Very well, you're free to personally reject traditional thomistic arguments on the basis of your philosophical assumption of complete reductionism. To the rest of us, however, reductionism is not an open metaphysical position here, and is particularly bizarre since it contradicts experience and a clear conceptual difference that we grasp and use all the time.

We find our metaphysics to be far more plausible and sensible than your metaphysics. So you can reject the thomistic arguments. We can't, and we'll continue to disagree. You think your assumption is supported by your philosophical interpretation of science; we reject that interpretation and in any case we don't think it overrides what we take to be the overwhelming evidence of experience and clear conceptual difference. So I don't think there's anything left to discuss, at least on my part. I'll keep my views and conclusion, and you'll probably keep yours, unfortunately.

12/23/2017 12:19 pm  #390

@RoamanJoe

If the table collapses, the cup falls. The distinction between these two causal relationships is clear.

It seems to be clear at the naked eye level of human perception, experience, and abstraction.  But that difference breaks down under closer examination and is of no value in considering the root processes of causation.

Even though they both involve temporal processes--like the constant motion of atoms in the table and cup--this does not mean that both causal relationships are the same.

Actually, yes it does, but the difference in time scales and distance scales leads to naked eye human experience and human abstraction to make distinctions that break down under closer examination.

When a molecule of water is in the cup it is vibrating about as part of the water-cup-table-Earth system wherein that water molecule is part of a vastly complex system of mutual causation.

Then water molecule flies off the surface and leaves the cup, just like the grandfather.  And just like the grandfather its past causal interactions are not undone by its departure from the defined system.

Just like the grandfather the water molecule interacts in the system temporally as long as it is a part of the system and it ceases to interact temporally when it is no longer part of the system.  The grandfather did no interact in just one moment, rather, he lived many years and did many things, then he died and his molecules disbursed. 

The same is true of the water, the cup, and the table, which will not last forever in those forms.  The water will evaporate, the cup will eventually be discarded and perhaps recycled, the table will eventually be discarded and will decompose.

In every temporal mutually causal system the members of that system interact according to the structure of the system until the members are temporally transported out of the system at which time the material goes elsewhere and interacts temporally with other material. When that happens the prior interactions are not undone. 

A causal series is always like that, just a series of processes with each interaction in the present moment.  Past interactions are in the past and cannot be undone.  Future interactions are not real, only imagined.  Simultaneity is the case only in the present moment.

Again, temporality does not entail an accidental causal series. An accidental causal series is one in which each member has a degree of causal independence, not continually relying on the earlier members for its causal efficacy or existence.

Which describes every causal series.  Human beings tend to anthropomorphize, or project, or assign titles to objects, lumping together a vast collection of temporally separated events as though they are one.  Closer examination of this shows that is an artifact of human abstraction.

So for instance, the grandson can still exist, move, function, even if his grandfather drops dead. The cup, however, cannot actualize its potential to exist one meter off the ground if the table is destroyed. Why? Because the cup is continually dependent on the table for its position.

The water-cup-table-Earth system is continually interacting with each other as a temporal process of mutual causation for as long as they have that particular arrangement.  When some other actor imparts forces to members of the system then the material in that system will continue to interact in mutual causation according to the structure of the next arrangement.

These are all cases of "accidental" causation.  Humans simply assign titles and make abstractions that give the illusion of somehow being "essential".

Board footera