Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2016 4:49 am  #1

Reasons to believe in hylemorphic dualism

I am a subjective idealist, somewhat along the lines of Berkeley, although on some points my views differ from his. To very briefly explain my journey to reach where I am today: I began by identifying four chief answers to the question of the relationship of mind and matter: materialism, idealism, substance dualism, and neutral monism. I believe I have good reasons to reject substance dualism and neutral monism, and to prefer idealism to materialism. However, the gap in that chain of reasoning is it fails to consider some further possible answers, among them hylemorphic dualism.

So, why should I prefer hylemorphic dualism to other philosophies of mind, especially idealism? Can anyone here succintly state the case for it?

3/03/2016 5:13 am  #2

Re: Reasons to believe in hylemorphic dualism

I'm sympathetic to a certain extent, but what exactly is your metaphysical view? That there is only the productions of individual minds?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/03/2016 6:24 pm  #3

Incessable wrote:

To very briefly explain my journey to reach where I am today: I began by identifying four chief answers to the question of the relationship of mind and matter: materialism, idealism, substance dualism, and neutral monism. I believe I have good reasons to reject substance dualism and neutral monism, and to prefer idealism to materialism. However, the gap in that chain of reasoning is it fails to consider some further possible answers, among them hylemorphic dualism.

So, why should I prefer hylemorphic dualism to other philosophies of mind, especially idealism? Can anyone here succintly state the case for it?

Hylomorphic dualism is a position on the mind-body problem. But it is really part of a broader metaphysic, hylomorphism. If the latter isn't viable, then neither is hylomorphic dualism. But if hylomorphism is viable, then (I think) there are good reasons to identify the mind with the form of man.

This could be resisted; some blog posts here aim to argue that substance dualism is consonant with hylomorphism.

3/03/2016 8:22 pm  #4

This reply is inappropriately long. I've been asked to write about related subjects a few times, had scraps laying around my desktop, and hate to waste material. I hope you don't mind. I'm also leaving the positive case for hylemorphic dualism, as opposed to against subjective idealism (phenomenalism), to someone else.

I'm going to call what some people refer to as sense data, sense impressions. Moore and Russell talked about sense data. They wanted to leave open the question of whether there exists unsensed sensibilia. I suspect, however, that you and I agree that senses are had only when there is a mind to have them, and sense impression reflects this better.

I'm also going to need the distinction between intentional content and intentional objects. Two perceptual experiences can have exactly the same content, where one has an object and the other doesn't. The veridical perception of an apple has an object; the hallucination of an apple doesn't. The content of the perception is satisfied; the content of the hallucination isn't satisfied.

I actually think phenomenalism is unmotivated. For example, the main argument for it seems to be from parsimony:

(1) Phenomenalism is more economical than indirect realism.
(2) Direct realism is incorrect.
(3) If direct realism is incorrect and phenomenalism is more economical than indirect realism, we ought to prefer phenomenalism as our best theory.
(4) Hence, we ought to prefer phenomenalism as our best theory.

There is a host of arguments for (2), but they nearly all take the form of what John Searle calls The Bad Argument:

(5) In both the veridical (good) case and in the hallucination (bad) case, there is a common element—a qualitative objective visual experience going on in the visual system.
(6) Because the common element is qualitatively identical in the two cases, whatever analysis we give of one, we must give of the other.
(7) In both the veridical case and the hallucination case we are aware of something (are conscious of something, see something).
(8) But in the hallucination case it cannot be a material object; therefore, it must be a subjective mental entity. Just to have a name, call it a “sense impression”.
(9) But by step two we have to give the same analysis for both cases. So in the veridical case, as in the hallucination, we see only sense impressions.
(10) Because in both hallucinations and in veridical perceptions we see only sense impressions, then we have to conclude that we never see material objects or other ontologically objective phenomena. So Direct Realism is refuted.[1]

The problem is that (7) conflates two senses of “aware of”. The first sense is the “aware of” in (a) I am aware of a table. It describes an experience with the presence and features of the table as its conditions of satisfaction—that is, with the table as its intentional object. The second sense is the “aware of” in (b) I am aware of a painful sensation in my hand. With it, the experience and the object I'm aware of are identical. I'm experiencing pain and the only thing I'm aware of is that pain. So, in the first sense the content and object of the experience are distinct, whereas in the second sense the content and object of the experience are identical. 

The “aware of” The Bad Argument requires is the “aware of” in (a). In the veridical case, you're aware of (say) a table. There's intentional content and an intentional object. In the hallucinatory case, you aren't aware of anything. You're having a total hallucination. There's intentional content, but no intentional object. So, we aren't “aware of” something in the relevant sense in both the veridical and hallucinatory cases. So, (7) is false.

Since (7) is false, (2) remains unmotivated. Absent other reason for accepting (2), we have no reason to accept the argument from parsimony.

[1]This formulation of The Bad Argument is thanks to Searle. I've replaced his “sense data” with “sense impression” to reflect my first paragraph.

3/03/2016 8:23 pm  #5

Phenomenalism also runs into the problem of individuation. Suppose Cartesian immaterialism about minds is true. Further suppose there are two minds that exist at the same time, and have identical qualities and experiences. On what basis can we say that there are two minds, not just one?

Believers in physical objects can appeal to the link between a mind and body. If, however, phenomenalists are correct, bodies dissolve into sense impressions that are themselves part of the experience of minds. So, phenomenalists can't appeal to the link between a mind and body.

Since Cartesian minds are non-spatial, phenomenalists can't appeal to spatial location either. So, there doesn't seem be any criterion of numerical difference—any principle of individuation—to which phenomenalists can appeal.

One way to avoid the problem is to adopt the Identity of Indiscernibles as a metaphysically necessary truth. A necessary Identity of Indiscernibles would, however, entail that God could not have created two qualitatively identical rocks, or blades of grass, or atoms[1]. Yet, there seems to be nothing either logically impossible or contrary to God's Nature about His creating two qualitatively identical rocks. If God can create two identical rocks, the Identity of Indiscernibles isn't a metaphysically necessary truth and can't be used to avoid the problem.

You could also appeal to a link between minds and God's sense impressions, arguing that our sense impressions are mere overlays of His. But then you've abandoned phenomenalism, and become an indirect realist.

I suspect, too, that every blind man objects to phenomenalism.

[1]Also, it bans even the mere possibility of God creating tropes—a consequence that, I think, even most opponents of tropes would hesitate to accept. If it's possible for tropes to exist, the Identity of Indiscernibles isn't a necessary truth.

3/04/2016 2:31 am  #6

iwpoe wrote:

I'm sympathetic to a certain extent, but what exactly is your metaphysical view? That there is only the productions of individual minds?

Hello iwpoe, to explain the form of idealism I espouse in more detail: I believe that there exist numerous distinct minds, and the experiences of those minds (qualia), and whatever other types of mental content (beyond qualia) may exist (such as thoughts, beliefs, emotions, desires, etc.) There exist patterns in the experiences of minds. There also exist patterns across the experiences of multiple minds, correlations between the experiences of different minds. I believe that physical objects are reducible to such patterns-in-experience, or indeed are patterns-in-experience. A tree is a pattern which exists in the experiences of all the minds who perceive the tree. (I am a theist, albeit not exactly a classical one, so I would include the Mind of God among those minds which perceive the tree by having present in their experiences the pattern which the tree is.)

That's basically my ontology. I'm open to adding other elements to it (e.g. I'd willing to consider adding Platonic forms – I don't have a fixed view on whether they exist or not), but not adding mentally-irreducible matter. If I added mentally irreducible matter to it, I wouldn't be an idealist anymore, I'd be a dualist.

A couple of ways in which I see myself as differing from Berkeley:

1) He denied the existence of matter, as something unreal or illusory. I believe in the existence of matter. I just believe that it is ultimately reducible to mind. There exists both reductionist materialism and eliminativist materialism – reductionists say that mind exists but is reducible to matter, eliminativists deny the existence of mind; by analogy, I'd say that Berkeley was an eliminativist idealist (denying the existence of matter), I'd say I am a reductionist idealist (affirming the existence of matter, but insisting it is ultimately reducible to mind)

2) Berkeley argues for idealism on an epistemic basis; his arguments have been heavily criticised. I prefer to focus on different arguments for idealism instead.

3/04/2016 3:24 am  #7

Hello John,

You've outlined a particular strategy for arguing for idealism, and attempted to refute that strategy. And, more or less, the strategy you've outlined is one that many idealists follow. However, I'm not inclined to argue for idealism in that way.

I'd generally approach arguing for idealism in three steps:
1) Argue that monism (materialism, idealism or neutral monism) is preferable to dualism
2) Argue that non-neutral monism (materialism or idealism) is preferable to neutral monism
3) Argue that idealism is preferable to materialism

For point (1), I make two arguments:
1a) Dualism has to solve the problem of interaction, monism doesn't need to solve that problem
1b) By the principle of parsimony we ought prefer monism to dualism

Now, I think both (1a) and (1b) work well against Cartesian dualism; but, for hylemorphic dualism, I don't think either argument succeeds. So, what I am trying to work out, is if there is a good argument against hylemorphic dualism. If I can find a good argument against hylemorphic dualism, then (assuming the arguments I use in steps (2) and (3) are correct), I would have a good argument for idealism. Conversely, if I can't find any good argument against hylemorphic dualism, then my argument strategy can only produce the outcome that we ought to believe one of hylemorphic dualism or idealism, without giving us any reason to pick one over the other.

Direct realists say that we are directly aware of external material objects. I will say the same thing, save that I analyse external material objects as patterns in the experiences of minds. You might object that in my analysis of matter, material objects are not actually external; well, a pattern in the experience of many minds is mostly external to my mind; consider the Sun – the vast majority of the experiences which belong to that pattern are present in minds other than my own. I am a realist, in the sense that I believe that material objects are perfectly real – patterns in experience are as real as the experiences which constitute them. I take a different attitude from other idealists who say that matter is "unreal" or "illusory" – I don't think such positions are inherent in idealism, and I think they help make idealism less popular than it might otherwise be.

I would say that for two distinct minds to exist, there must be at least one experience which one mind has and the other lacks. If two minds have exactly the same experiences, without even the slightest difference, then they are the same mind.

I don't agree with your argument that God could create two identical rocks. In physical terms, two distinct rocks cannot have the same spatiotemporal location and still be identical in all their properties; God cannot do this any more than he can create a square which is both white and black all over. Either he creates two (otherwise identical) rocks with distinct locations, or one rock with single location. From an idealist viewpoint, our visual qualia are spatially organised, so God cannot cause two distinct rocks to visually appear in the same location at the same time. (Other types of qualia are organized spatially as well – tactile, auditory (directional hearing), proprioception.)

(I haven't really thought about tropes, so can't comment on them.)

I don't see why a blind person would necessarily object to phenomenalism, if phenomena are understood to include auditory phenomena, tactile phenomena, etc.

Last edited by Incessable (3/04/2016 3:26 am)

3/04/2016 5:34 am  #8

Without wanting to intrude into the conversation. We can argue that chance is a mere convergence of causes. And that there's no such thing as 'chance' devoid of some sort of convergence at play. Similarly, when you say that matter is ultimately reducible to the mind, what could you mean here, other than say the mind causes the experience itself?

The mind causing a hallucination or something of that sort, makes metaphysical sense if and only if there's some way of reference in reality to distinguish it from reality itself. But let's say that you as an Idealist take the stance all of reality is just is such a projection of the mind, real, but projected and reducible to it. What exactly motivates this proposition, given that there's no way to 'test' this metaphysical speculation unless you appeal to some quantum phenomena (which some idealists like InspiringPhilosophy do), what would be the motivator? Parsimony? I'd rather undercut the argument. If Parsimony, then I suppose this makes a huge error, since while this could be said for God, I do not think this could be said for minds which have the substantial form of a human being, where the causal powers of their immaterial mind(s) is not only restricted by the form, but designated to serve the will of the person and their respective bodies.

John, could you please expand on the thing with the Principle of the Identity of Indiscernibles?

Last edited by Dennis (3/04/2016 5:39 am)

3/04/2016 12:20 pm  #9

Incessable wrote:

For point (1), I make two arguments:
1a) Dualism has to solve the problem of interaction, monism doesn't need to solve that problem
1b) By the principle of parsimony we ought prefer monism to dualism

I think the problem of interaction itself has many forms, some of which are difficult to state as arguments. Some versions of it presuppose the principle of causal closure of the physical (CCP). I think it's question-begging to presuppose CCP in an argument against dualism, since (some versions of) dualism entail that CCP is false. Do you have a version of the problem of interaction that doesn't presuppose CCP?

3/04/2016 5:03 pm  #10

Hi Incessable,

Sorry for another long reply. They should start to shorten after this.

D. C. Williams has an interesting discussion of the distinction between economy of gross tonnage and true logical economy in Realism as an Inductive Hypothesis. Since parsimony plays an important role in your argument and discussions of phenomenalism generally, I hope you don't mind if I quote from it:

First, true logical economy consists in the assumption of as few independent principles as possible.

Second, logical economy therefore does not consist in assuming as small a quantity of matter as possible. Ockham's principle forbids us to multiply, not masses of stuff, not gross tonnage, but laws, formal elements, defining characters. It is not more economical, logically, to assume the operation of Aaron's rod than to assume the operation of an avalanche or a solar cataclysm, in spite of the immensely greater heft of the latter.

Third, logical economy therefore does not consist simply in assuming negative propositions in preference to affirmative. The assumption of nonexistence is not the nonexistence of an assumption. The assumption that a does not exist at all is not no assumption at all about a. The assumption that less exists is not even less of an assumption about what exists.

Fourth, and finally, logical economy does not consist in the sort of abstention from all assumptions which is merely an abstention from the inductive process. The economical hypothesis has no advantage over the uneconomical unless the former covers and explains at least as many of the facts as the latter. The law stipulates, not for mere economy, but for economical explanation.

I'm not concerned about gross tonnage, unless we get into infinites[1], and I'm not convinced that phenomenalism is more logically economical than direct realism. If anything, it seems to result in more contrived explanations (ie. your explanation of matter).

[1]Try finding a genuine metaphysical problem (one that isn't just aesthetic preference) with having a few thousand more atoms in the universe to see why.

Board footera